Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I'm not ready for this.....

Well, here we are at only 14 months, and Reagan had her first true, no holds barred tantrum this morning. This is pretty new territory for me because Jonah, while at times difficult just like any kid, never really had tantrums. Let me set the scene for you....

Rush's sister Sharon took Jonah out for a while today to have some fun so Rush and I could do some work in the backyard before he went to work. After Reagan's nap this morning, I fed her lunch and then we started to play for a while which was great because we rarely have uninterrupted playtime, just the 2 of us. Anyway, all was good and she was cracking me up until a green football came into the picture. She was playing with it, gave it to me and then started fussing. "You gave it to me," I'm thinking, "so why are you fussing?" Anyway, like we did with Jonah, we've been teaching her some signs to use before she really starts speaking well. So, I told her to "say" please if she wanted it back...not to make her angry, just to make her say it since she knows how. Well....this totally set her off. I mean, the trauma associated with having to say please is mind-blowing. She was bound and determined she wasn't going to say please. She started throwing herself on the floor, kicking, screaming, etc. Imagine the typical picture of a tantrum and this was it. Wow. I didn't expect that. She's pitched her share of fits before and has always been much feistier than Jonah, but now I think we're really in for it.

Little did she know that I can be pretty darn stubborn, myself. I didn't give in. I still have the football....and I'm still waiting on a "please." She, on the other hand, is in her bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment