Thursday, August 4, 2011

Journeys


Ever been on a journey you really don't want travel?

A journey you might be dreading, but know you have to go on?

And you know with everything in you that it is what you are absolutely supposed to be doing?

But in all reality, deep down, you're not really happy about it. Because it means that you have to give up some things. Some things you really do want. Some things you always saw in store for yourself. Some things you think you deserve.

And you know it's going to be hard. And challenging. And you really have no idea how on earth you're going to get to your destination. In fact, it looks darn near impossible at times.

Surely, someone else should have been chosen for the journey. Someone better equipped. With better judgment. Better ideas. Better plans. Better resources. Someone more patient and less selfish.

But, no. It's you. You are the one that was chosen. You are the one that has to go. You are the one who has to sacrifice, and stretch, and wonder, and trust.

Ever been there?

Yep. Me too.

Right now, as a matter of fact.

Blindly having faith that it is going to be ok. Trusting that I don't have to worry about one single detail of the journey. Because when God calls us to something, he is faithful to see it to completion.

Still, I am of little faith. I am selfish. I am impatient. I am greedy, and pouty, and lazy. (Well, not all of the time!) But at our core, aren't we all? We know that usually the greatest rewards in life come from the greatest struggles. But we really don't want to go through the struggle part, do we? Who would?


"....I could not help but think that somewhere along the way
we had missed what is radical about our faith and replaced it
with what is comfortable. We were settling for a Christianity
that revolves around catering to ourselves when the
central message of Christianity is actually about abandoning ourselves."

-David Platt, Radical



Ahhh, that whole 'die to self' thing.....that's hard. And usually it's not fun. Rewarding? Yes. Fun? Not so much. Still, we're on board. We're paddling. We're looking for the joy along the way. And the challenges.....well, we'll just hand those over to someone who can take care of them.


Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. I say to myself,
“The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.”
-Lamentations 3:22-24




2 comments:

  1. Im reminded of a hymn after reading this...Im so thankful for your honesty and transparency. Deep breath... 1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav’nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;
    For I know, whate’er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well.
    2. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Cheers each winding path I tread,
    Gives me grace for every trial,
    Feeds me with the living Bread.
    Though my weary steps may falter
    And my soul athirst may be,
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see;
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see.
    3. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Oh, the fullness of His love!
    Perfect rest to me is promised
    In my Father’s house above.
    When my spirit, clothed immortal,
    Wings its flight to realms of day
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way;
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way.
    love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too, girlie! Thanks for that encouragement!

    ReplyDelete