Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jonah and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I've had lots of times as a mom in which my heart has just broken for my kiddos...mostly they have revolved around physical pain: shots at the doctor, falling and scraping knees, etc. However, I have noticed that as Jonah has gotten older and more mature emotionally, it's the emotional boo-boos that kill me! I'll explain...

Jonah's kindergarten love-saga has continued. He has remained crazy about a little girl in his class, who also lives in our neighborhood. Her dad used to be a police officer and just so happened to be our realtor when we moved into our current home. However, about 2 weeks ago, he came home and said he had another girlfriend (as an addition, not a replacement to the other one). Mind you, this makes 3 girlfriends within a month or so time period. He was so funny talking about her...apparently she knocked his socks off on picture day in her pretty pink dress. She's not in his class, but rides his bus. He was determined to marry her as well as the other girlfriend. (Rush had a little talk with him about marrying 2 people.)

Anyway, these little girls are all he has talked about recently. It's been cute listening to him, but I never really thought about what might happen if the kids had a little falling out. Well, it happened today. Jonah got off the bus, and just had that look...I knew something wasn't right and he was upset, which was weird because he had a field trip to the Children's Museum today. We started walking home and I asked him what was wrong. He just started crying and I could barely understand what had happened. Finally, he told me that his pink dress girlfriend (who's dad is also a police officer....seriously, it's like the police kid love triangle) sat next to another little boy on the bus and said she only wanted one boyfriend...which was not Jonah.

Ugh....it was horrible. His little heart was broken in half and there was nothing I could do to fix it. What a horrendous feeling for a mom! I know it's really not that big of a deal in the scheme of things, and it's just little puppy love, but to Jonah, it was real, and horrible, and painful.

He's bounced back gradually over the course of the evening, and even came home with a little love note from the remaining girlfriend. Let's just hope that one works out...I can't handle the heartbreak!

2 comments: